Care for your body after Chemotherapy treatment
By: Nimba - April 2, 2021
The term cancer is depressing in itself, but now days frequency of cancer survivorship has improved than from before. As per WHO, 2.25 million Indians are living with cancer, with over 1.1 million new cases being registered every year.
As per majority, cancer is a life-changing event. The painful journey of cancer begins from the day of diagnosis and continues until the final day of chemotherapy. Life after chemotherapy has its own challenges. It leaves long-term impact on your physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. Cancer is a deadly disease that affects people socially, emotionally, intellectually, and financially.
Cancer generally happens when the normal control mechanism of body fails and there is uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in human body. Old cells remains and new abnormal cells develop uncontrollably. These abnormal cells in bulk develops tumor.
We are already aware of the fact that chemotherapy have its own negative effects. The drugs used in chemotherapy are used to kill the fast-growing cells of cancer. The chemotherapy drugs spreads all across the body which damages the healthy cells of body too. The side effect happens when healthy cells of body are damaged. Chemotherapy focuses just more than disease. Few side effects can be treated easily and some causes major problem.
Following are the side effects commonly experienced by cancer patient:
- Body ach and Fatigue
- Mind-body restlessness
- Hair loss
- Easy bruising and bleeding, dry mouth, burning sensation
- Appetite change – weight gain or weight loss
- Vomiting and nausea
- Depression or Anxiety
- Diarrhea and constipation
- Mood swings
- changes in sexual desires
- Fertility issues
- sometime changes occurs in physical appearance also
Traditional therapies such as radiation, chemotherapy, and surgery are really helpful in saving patient's life. Patients can expect better results with the combination of integrative therapy with such treatments. Combining traditional and alternative therapies is the best method for any cancer treatment, and it also helps to minimise the negative effects of chemotherapy and drugs used to treat cancer. Naturopathy, acupuncture, exercise, meditation, yoga, massage, diet and nutrition, and other techniques can significantly reduce cancer related chemotherapy side effects.
Our experts at Nimba health village recognise that everyone's mind and body work indifferently. Out doctors at Nimba health village come up with the effective combination of therapies to help patients cope with the most common side effects.
Supportive care services include:
- Diet and Nutrition therapy help to restore digestive health, and prevent malnutrition and nutrient deficiencies, during and after cancer treatment.
- Naturopathy therapy promotes energy by enhancing natural ability of body to heal itself.
- Acupuncture works by stimulate the body's specific points to alter the nervous system. It works best for physical pain relief, nausea and vomiting, dry mouth, etc.
- Physical exercise to rebuild strength and overcome some of the physical effects of treatment
- Mind-body medicine help to improve emotional well-being through promotes positive thinking, lowers stress, anxiety and depression, improves mental wellbeing,
- patient counselling help to deal with mixed emotions of daily life challenges that cancer can cause.
Cancer causes physical and emotional stress, so it’s critical to take care of yourself. Our aim behind 14th days cancer retreat at Nimba health village is to get rid of toxins that have accumulated in body during chemotherapy and also helps the body in improving its immune system. The mental and physical recovery is discussed in post – cancer retreat which is absent in traditional system. It generally aims at improving the life of patient by providing assistance in improving mental, physical and emotional well-being by reducing fear, anxiety and depression. This concept also helps in development of trust and personal skills.